Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A plus and a minus



I made a couple of recipes from Enemy of the Steak tonight: a luscious tempeh dish called Picadillo (tempeh, onions, garlic, bell peppers, tomato sauce, raisins, capers, and seasonings) and Glazed Plantains. I had a dab of the Saffron Rice left over (gotta buy that again) and heated it up. I guess you can tell which is the plus--it's the tempeh dish. The cinnamon gave it a nice kick, and lazy girl that I am, I used Whole Foods "Stoplight" (red, yellow, and green) peppers even though the recipe calls for one green pepper. It's something I do when I have dishes that call for chopped bell peppers. It adds a splash of color to my favorite tofu dish.

I don't know what went wrong with the plantains--maybe they weren't ripe enough, and time in the fridge didn't help. I'll have to keep an eye out for ripe plantains. Considering my neighborhood has a large Latino population, one of the stores must carry plantanos. I suspect this recipe will work better with soft, ripe plantains rather than unripe "tostones." I made a couple of other very minor changes, but it shouldn't have affected the flavor. It was the texture that was sort of problematic.

I've mentioned that I do not object to using frozen veggies. Unless you're doing a stuffed pepper, you can easily sub a few handfuls of the frozen bell peppers. I usually run warm water over them to get the ice off and start the defrost process. The upshot is my freezer is crowded with frozen fruits and veggies, plus some shortening, stick margarine, a few convenience foods, and soy ice cream. My small fridge is also crowded with tea pitchers, grains, nuts, stuff I've cooked, sauces, dressings, and a few cooking oils.

I need a larger fridge.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 7:32 AM, Blogger urban vegan said…

    Looks great--I never head of that cookbook but will have to look it up.

    Yes, when you make plantains you have to wait for the skins to turn almost black. You can use the less ripe ones as you would use a potato, though, or to make mafongo.

     
  • At 10:53 AM, Blogger bazu said…

    Hi,
    That meal looks great! About the plantains, they should never be kept in the fridge. That stops them from ripening, and as UV mentioned, you have to wait until they're super-ripe to use them for a dish like this.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home