Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Monday, April 23, 2007

'Bobs on the Barbie






Okay, so it's not really a barbecue, but "Grilling Kabobs" would have been a really dull title, don't you think? I bought a container of mixed up chopped onions and peppers (and a couple of mushrooms--what's up with that? I want more shrooms, dammit!), threaded them with some tempeh chunks on leftover skewers from the last kabobs I bought, brushed on some Annie's Naturals Paradise Marinade and grilled them in my lovely grill pan that I so adore. I had way more veggies than I had room for on the skewers, so after the skewers were done, I just tossed the unthreaded veggies in the grill pan and stirred them around for a bit until they had cooked up some. I also had some Lundberg's rice pilaf and cooked that up, for a nice, healthy (I hope) dinner. The rice could use a little more flavor--maybe next time I'll use half broth and half water to cook it or toss in some seasonings. But it's still pretty good, and I'd get it again.
Earth Day was yesterday, Sunday. And everyone talks about global warming and how to be environmentally friendly. The local paper was asking its readership for their tips, so of course, I wrote in. I said, go vegan and gave a few stats on just how wasteful the animal products industries are and how horribly they pollute the earth. And yes, I backtracked a bit; I realize not everyone can or will go vegan. But just sharply reducing your consumption of animal products will help. And to my suprise and delight, they published my letter, although a little hacked up. The EPA itself states that runoff from factory farms pollutes groundwater more than all other industrial sources combined, and the UN states that raising animals for food generates more greenhouse gases than all the cars and trucks in the world combined. Don't believe me? Know a skeptic? Have them Google "animal products global warming" and see how many hits you get that say, yes, meat production causes some serious environmental problems. And just because meat production is worse than SUVs, that doesn't give you a pass. If you must own a car, find a more fuel-efficient one. The supply of oil on the planet is finite, and your monstermobile isn't helping matters.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

  • At 3:17 AM, Blogger Jerome said…

    That looks good, although I would like it better without the green peppers...Danielle, can you move into my apt. and cook for me? :) I'm sure my kitties would love you...

     
  • At 7:29 PM, Blogger Danielle said…

    But my kitty wouldn't like your kitties. She doesn't play well with others. And you could pick off the peppers.

     
  • At 5:38 PM, Blogger Matt and Bobbie said…

    Bravo! Way to go writing to your local paper like that. People need to know how their food chioces affect the planet. Good for you. The kabobs look great too!

     
  • At 9:55 AM, Blogger Michelle said…

    first, congrats on getting your letter published! i also try to encourage people to at least cut down on meat consumption.. if they aren't willing to take the veggie plunge!

    also, those kabobs look lovely. how do you like the Annie's marinade? i've never tried that before. i have yet to make my first kabobs of the season.. i need to get right on that!

     
  • At 8:14 PM, Blogger urban vegan said…

    Yum...it's bob season.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home