Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Portobella? Portabella? Portobello? Portabello?



However you spell it, they're D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S. After work today, I did a bit of shopping at Whole Foods--note to self: Never shop at Whole Foods on a Sunday again--and when I got home, it was rather late. So I grabbed a box of Seeds of Change Tomato Basil Quinoa Blend from the cabinet, a packet of portabella mushrooms from the fridge and got to making dinner. I brushed the mushrooms with Annie's Natural Shiitake Sesame Dressing and threw them in my grill pan. I had a big problem, as you can see, trying to remove the gills from the mushrooms, and two of the three fell apart before I tried using a fork instead of a knife to scrape out the gills, which worked a bit better, but some of the gills will remain. The mushrooms were juicy and tasty, and it was a quick, easy dinner.

I'm in a bit of a grumpy mood because someone stole my newspaper. Because of the switch to Daylight Saving Time (note there is no "s" at the end of "saving"), the paper delivery was a bit late. Most Sundays, I hear the delivery person drop my paper while I'm getting ready for work. But not today. In fact, I was walking through the apartment lobby when I saw the delivery person. Because the Sunday paper is thick, they just dump it outside my door (during the rest of the week, they slide it under my door, usually well before I even get up). When I got home, there was no paper waiting for me. So I had to buy one. Because I subscribe to the paper, I get some of the Sunday supplements with the Saturday paper, so I ended up having to ditch two sets because I don't bother with the stupid advertising inserts. Which I also hate, even though my building does have a recycling program. But all's well that ends well, and I did get to read my paper.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • At 12:57 AM, Blogger KleoPatra said…

    As someone who's been employed by various newspapers the last 20-something years of my life, this was very interesting for me to read your comments. Hmmmm... Thanks for sharing...

    I'm a big fan of Portabella mushrooms. And a big fan of not shopping anywhere on Sundays!!

     
  • At 8:15 AM, Blogger Jerome said…

    The mushrooms look fabulous...

     
  • At 10:24 PM, Blogger urban vegan said…

    I also love portas. And hate shopping on Sundays--although we almost always run out of everything on Saturday, and end up at the grocery store with every one else in the city.

     
  • At 2:39 PM, Blogger Matt and Bobbie said…

    I never go grocery shopping on the weekend unless I absolutely have to. It's so crazy!

    Great idea using the salad dressing as a quick marinade for the mushrooms! Whenever I made portabellas, I use a spoon to scrape out the gills--you get much less breakage.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home